The Schomburg family was a pioneer in the jewelry business in Columbus. Cark Frederick Schomburg has been constantly engaged in business in Columbus for fifty six years and therefore is considered one of Columbus’ oldest business men.
He was born in Hanover, Germany on May 25th, 1852, the son of Heinrich Ludwig Schomburg and Amala Schmidt. His father was born on March 1st, 1799, and mother May 1822. His father was of an old farmer generation, the old homestead being in the Deister Mountains, near Rinteln southwest of the city of Hanover, Germany.
At the age of nineteen Mr. Schomburg came to the United States after having served as a watchmaking and jewelry trades apprentice, and he remained for about a year in New York City. Successively he moved to Columbus and established himself in the watchmaking and jewelry business here. His success can be credited to the conscientious application to work and his austere honesty, as it was well known that he would rather not indulge in a business transaction than misrepresent anything in the slightest degree.
Mr. Schomburg was married on September 15th, 1875 in Columbus, Georgia to Wilhelmina Emma Reich daughter of Frederick Reich and Maria Cresentia (Keinbach) Reich. The ceremony was conducted by the Reverend Dr. Nall of First Presbyterian Church. They are the parents of six children: four boys; Carl Ludwig, Frederick Herman, Herbert Heinrich and Otto Meinhardt Schomburg, and two girls: Minnie, now Mrs. W. F. Newman and Gertrude, now Mrs. Alma Gertrude Ingle both residing in Jacksonville, Florida.
Mr. Schomburg has always been actively associated with all progressive movements working for the betterment of the community, and while a young man, was very much intererested in thef romation and functioning of the volunteer Fire Departments, Atheletetic Scocieteis, Singing Socitieties and being naturally of a studious nature himself was on of the pioneers in building up of a Municiipal Library and has been a director and vice-president of the Columbus Public Library, charter member of the Historical Society and Columbus Board of Trade and for 25 years a member of Columbus Gun Club. He was truly an active member of the community.
He represents the American trunk of the Schomburg family tree from now on, sharing the honor with his good wife, Wilhemina Emma Reich daughter of Mr. Fererick Reich and Mrs. Maria Cresentia Reich.
A native of Hanover, Germany, Carl Frederick Schomburg (right) came to this country at the age of nineteen. He served a year of apprenticeship as a watchmaker and jeweler in New York before coming to Columbus where in 1972, he began what is now Columbus’ oldest jewelry store. He was succeeded in the business by his son, Frederick Herman Schomburg, Sr., (left) and by his grandson Frederick Herman Schomburg Jr. Two great-grandsons, Charles Frederick Powell and Frederick Collins Schomburg are also associated with this 113-year-old business that now has its store on Auburn Avenue. Photograph courtesy of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer newspapers.
It was custom for Mr. Carl Schomburg to the ring the bell each day at 11 a.m. in order that clocks and watches throughout the city could be checked for their accuracy. Later he would maintain the city clock in the First Presbyterian Church after 1891, passing the duty down to his son, Fred. Photograph courtesy of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer newspapers.
In 1891 fire damaged the First Presbyterian Church at the corner of First Avenue and Eleventh Street. As its main tower was being rebuilt, jewelry and church member Carl Schomburg proposed that the city of Columbus purchase a $500 clock for the tower, agreeing to install the clock and maintain it free of cost to the city during his lifetime. Purchased was one by the noted American clock manufacturer, Seth Thomas, with four dials that required winding each week. Schomburg kept his part of the bargain until he retired in 1930. At that time, his son, Fred H. Schomburg, Sr., took on the chores of the city clock maintenance until it was electrified after World War II. Photograph from the collection of F. Clason Kyle.
Nearly three peaceful decades in Columbus brought with it the birth of a number of business institutions that became landmarks of commerce for nearly a century. Names like Kirven’s, Rosenberg’s, David Rothschild Company, Schomburg’s, Chancellor’s, Harvey Lumber Company, W.C. Bradley Company, the Southern Railway System, and the Fourth National Bank had their beginnings during this period.
Schomburg lived to age ninety-three, still active in the business that his father, a native of Germany, founded here in 1872. In this 1970 photograph, Schomburg is seen with the Seth Thomas clock that his father installed in front of the Broadway store in 1906. Photograph courtesy of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer newspapers.
Georgia’s Oldest Fifth Generation Jeweler – from website: Frederick Carl Schomburg was born May 25, 1852 in Hanover, Germany. The son of Heinrick Ludwig Schomburg and Amalia Sophia Schmidt, both residents of Hanover, Germany. Carl served an apprenticeship as watchmaker under Heinrick Oelmann in Burdorf and worked for about a year under a celebrated watchmaker in the city of Cells. He immigrated to America arriving in New York September 1871 and moved to Columbus, Georgia in May 1872. On the 15th day of September 1875, Carl was married to Miss Wilhelmina (Minnie) Emma Reich. Carl and Minnie were blessed by the birth of ten children, four of whom died when infants. Schomburg's Jewelers, one of Georgia oldest manufacturers of jewelry, designs our jewelry in solid 14kt, 18kt and platinum.
Frederick Carl Schomburg was born May 25, 1852 in Hanover, Germany. The son of Heinrick Ludwig Schomburg and Amalia Sophia Schmidt, both residents of Hanover, Germany. Carl served an apprenticeship as watchmaker under Heinrick Oelmann in Burdorf and worked for about a year under a celebrated watchmaker in the city of Cells. He immigrated to America arriving in New York September 1871 and moved to Columbus, Georgia in May 1872. On the 15th day of September 1875, Carl was married to Miss Wilhelmina (Minnie) Emma Reich. Carl and Minnie were blessed by the birth of ten children, four of whom died when infants.
Laid off the property were walkways lied with evergreen trees and circles of shrubbery with tables and chairs. In the circle, his favorite spot, a beer garden. Carl’s love of the property stemmed from his fondness of music. On his property he had a music hall with an orchestral hall and several musical cylinders, each playing several of the finest pieces of music.